I was at the Hershey Museum years ago when it was attached to the old Hershey Arena. I don’t remember it being very exciting but I was only in my 20’s and I probably just didn’t care as much. I have not been to the new museum until today.
It is beautifully designed and very informative. I had a wonderful time and I learned a lot about Milton Hershey and the Factory. They have these little books you can buy for the kids, it is called “The Apprentice Program” for $3. I felt that it made the children more engaged and helped them learn more about Milton Hershey. The seemed to have a great time finding the answers to the questions and learning about the Hershey Legacy.
We also did a chocolate tasting at the end. I am pretty sure I am the only one that truly enjoyed it. Ryan didn’t even bother trying the chocolate. Anna did but I am not sure she liked it.
Until another day…
The day is finally here. School has ended. We love summer we love the lazy days, swimming at the pool, no apparent schedule.
This year I even ensured that we only have one doctor appointment all summer. That means we can do what we want all summer long. The kids will get bored, I will get annoyed, but we will be happy and free.
Chris didn’t realize it but he scheduled out family dentist appointment for the last day of school. We have a tradition of going to the Jigger Shop on the last day of school and have lunch and dessert. So this year we ate lunch at home, then went to the dentist. Once were were given the clear by Dr. G and Dr. W we headed to the Jigger Shop for dessert.
The kids had a great time! It was such a wonderful day.
Until another day…
I haven’t written in 2 weeks. At first, I was mad at myself. It takes me 10 minutes to sit down and write a days journal. Then, I was thinking, “Oh well, no one cares anyway.” That made me depressed and wanting to write even less.
I am not gonna lie. It has been a busy 2 weeks and I have been going from the time I wake up until I sit down on the couch in the evening after the kids are in bed. I usually fall asleep within 30 minutes and the last thing I am thinking about is opening my computer to write about my day.
But I realized that I need to write my blessings and here is why:
- It keeps me balanced. – Since I tend to lean towards negativity or as I like to call it “I am a Realist,” I can quickly fall into a depressive state and have negative thoughts. I don’t like to be there in that part of my mind. That places keeps me from doing what I love and being who I am. It is the place where my “friend” in middle school told me I wasn’t good enough to be a cheerleader so I didn’t try out. I didn’t have friends that lifted me up back then. Those people are my inner voices now and I fight very hard not to be in that part of my mind.
- It keeps my mood positive. – I read once or maybe a few times that when you write down your blessings or what you are grateful for it helps to lift your mood. I have done this over the years and it truly does work. I am definitely more depressed when I don’t do it.
- It reminds me to look for the good in each day. – Let’s face it some days are just hard. I want to just go back to bed and wake up the next day and all be well again. But I can’t do that and it is not a good lesson for the kiddos, either.
- It keeps me motivated. – When I write down my blessings, I want to continue to look for more. Not always an easy task but I am no longer settling for “It is what it is.”
- I see beauty in mundane. – When I stop and look at the world around me, I am awestruck. All the different animals that live in my yard. How they interact with one another. The blooming flowers and all the amazing things God created.
- I see my limits. – I was not made to go go go. I need a lot of down time and I am well aware of my needs. I need more daily downtime than the average human to feel good.
- It keeps me in the IDGAF mindset. – I am perfectly happy walking around in my “FWOT” t-shirt or my “But First Gangster Rap” t-shirt. I will sometimes say a cuss word or two or more if you ask my walking buddy. I am sarcastic and I can sometimes take joking too far. I don’t have a lot of empathy (most would say none). But I will love you with all my heart and I am there if you need anything. I will always give you a honest answer. And my door is always open (no, seriously it is always open, hubby hates it). When I am here in this mindset, I am at my best.
I also learned is I can’t do this everyday. It becomes a burden and not a blessing. As summer approaches and life slows a bit, my goal will be to write 3-4 times a week.
As you can see from the picture above, we had a fine night last weekend. We took Ryan to a Monster Truck show for his Easter present this year. He really liked it despite the rain.
Until another day…
I realize my world is small when I say this but one of the worst things in the world is a migraine. I have been getting them much of my life 10 years ago I figured out how to deal with them. I started seeing a Chiropractor. Now I go once a month and it keeps the headaches and migraines away.
Today we had our family eye doctor appointment. The doctor and I tried different lenses and I ended up getting a headache wearing one set. This is because I of course put them in wrong. She said right then left but I am left handed so I went left then right. Well the headache was almost immediate. I knew I needed an adjustment for a few days but I was trying to hold off.
The headache kept getting worse and worse even with medicine it wasn’t going away. I broke down and called the Chiropractor. They were able to fit me in and I had a quick adjustment. Because the headache was so bad, I knew it wasn’t going to go away so I went to bed early.
There is a constant discussion in our house as to where the office should be. The layout of this house is not suitable for an office. We have 4 nice sized bedrooms that are taken up by 5 people. Actually, the master is the smallest but we have 2 closets and a bathroom in ours. We have a nice room for the kids to hang out with their friends and watch TV. We also have a living room for family movies and adults.
Then we have a separate kitchen (small) and dining room. We plan to make one big kitchen-dining space. We finally decided that the far wall in the dining room will be the office space. We have added a couple base cabinets and are in the process of a few uppers for space. There will be 2 works stations. This will be where I can work and where Chris can work on projects. The nice thing will also be that the dining table will be additional space if needed.
I thought it would be cool to add contact paper to the back of the cabinets. Yeah never again…..
I f@*#&$g hate contact paper!! Thank God there will be doors on the cabinets. We did a horrible job. Oh well, you live you learn.
First off, I want to say I made it to 31. I didn’t think it was possible. Yeah me! Celebrate the little things right!!
Today was a busy day. I didn’t sleep well and when I did finally fall asleep Ryan woke me up an hour later freaking out because he thought he had poison. It was just a bug bite.
Anna was the star of the show today. She had a soccer game and her gymnastics showcase. Her head was not in the game at soccer. In fact, most girls were not in the game. It has been a strange season. Yesterday is was 90 degrees and today we barely made 60. Man it was cold and windy out there.
After that we immediately went to Anna’s Gymnastics Showcase. We have never been to one of these shows. It was crazy. Things are happening everywhere. It was difficult to keep my mind focused on Anna. She was amazing though!! I have not seen what she has learned. I usually drop off and my friend picks her up. I was so proud of her and how far she has come.
The show was at noon and went an hour and an half. We were so hungry by the end. We went out for lunch. While we were at lunch we decided that we should go see the new Diary movie. So we went home changed cloths and went to the movies. So Funny!! I laughed and laughed!!
Well I talked to a friend today and she had some good advice. I took the advice and used it with Ryan. He seemed to better understand the point we are trying to make. And though he is upset about his discipline, he seems to understand why.
That evening he had a soccer game. They did Awesome!! What a wonderful way to end a hard week. It was still hot but at least we had a nice breeze, a beautiful sunset, and a lot of fun cheering on the boys.